This week the house members got to experience what it was like to be snowed in together for a few days, with what we hope to be the last big snow storm of the year. Needless to say we all began to suffer from some cabin fever, but that was resolved by having a snowball fight, digging out cars and we also discovered how deep the water well is. Aside from the cold and snow taking its toll on us we made a lot of progress on out proposals. Everyone was able to submit them in and now it is just a waiting game to see if wand what our budget will be to start making the house more sustainable. After doing the research for my projects, finding ways to keep the heat in, I found that the ideas i proposed and are very simple and cost effective. I want to apply new shoe molding to the space between the floor boards and the base board. By doing this we will seal up the cracks that allow the cold air in and the warm air out. I have also proposed adding a dryer vent diverter in the basement. This takes the exhaust from the dryer and instead of blowing it out side, it diverts it into the basement. This helps keep “free heat” in the house, and makes it smell like clean clothes.
Overall this week has been a good week. We are getting back into the swing of living sustainable and teaching what we have learned. We are always trying new ideas of ways we can live sustainable. Aly emailed us an interesting challenge in which you only use 4 liters of water a day. The idea of this is to teach you about how people that live in areas with poor water live. We are going to try this and see who can go the longest. The hardest part will be finding a way to stay clean during all of this but we will make it work and it will be a fun experience.
We also realized that the window plastic made a HUGE difference in keeping the heat in. We decided to take them off since most of them were falling off and felt the difference they made right away. From simply walking up and down the steps we noticed a difference of a few degrees. We are hoping that this cold will only last a few more days or else we are going to have to go to the store and buy and put them up again.
Well that’s it for now, Hopefully next time we will be beginning work on our projects!